18.1.12

an interview with kommune1



kommune1 isn't a name many of you will have heard of but that's set to change in 2012! the northern maestro has been on my radar for over a year now ever since I met him at the warehouse project and he started sending me tunes. his style isn't easily described and his work is a diverse mix of house, garage and techno. he'll be gracing the decks at output in the near future so I took this opportunity to ask him a few questions.

q. firstly, whats your name and where are you from?

a. my name is daniel martin, but i prefer to be known as danois just for shits and giggles. im originally from the north east, the smoggy town of middlesbrough, but now residing in scunthorpe before moving to leeds soon.

q. how long have you been making electronic music and do you have much of a musical background?

a. i've been making electronic music now for the last 6 years, originally experimenting with analogue equipment at college to work my way around synthesis. then i eventually started getting into hip-hop and that has taught me alot on sampling and sound design. i've been in bands (as im all sure we have) but yearned to be a one man band (so to speak) as i find it difficult portraying my ideas through other musicians, plus im a control freak so being on my own making tunes is perfect for me.

q. what are your influences?

a. my influences range from so many sources, as a youngster i was massively into 80s alternative and house music. by listening to bands like new order and depeche mode i routed it all back to kraftwerk, and that was an important find for me personally, as i think they are the most underrated and unsung heroes of all modern genres of music that dont use guitars. following that love affair with all things vintage, i found hip-hop, garage and techno, which all took a while to sink in, but have influenced me more than anything else. at the minute, my main influences are; wk7, actress, lone and head high.

q. where do you see yourself in a years time?

a. in a years time i hopefully see myself being successful as a producer and a dj (as we all are). not in it for the money, just want to make people move and sweat all the mdma out of their bodies. obviously hoping to get signed by a good label and maybe branching out from techno-house into more ambient routes or even hip-hop.

q. can you tell me about any upcoming releases, dates etc?

a. i have a release coming out in the next few months on the Magic Wire label (run by Lone), which is a dream come true really. always been a big fan of Matt's work and when he got back in touch with me over my track "motus" i was in awe, and still am. Also the fact that Lone is doing the remix on the b-side it should be a perfect introduction to the industry and hopefully more offers will come in for my tracks. gigs at the minute is a little less productive, as i hope to start doing dates once i have some releases under my belt. would prefer to be known as a producer than a dj, but i look forward to gracing dancehalls with some throwback styles.

Gotta have it by Kommune1

No comments:

Post a Comment